Letter to the Editor 10/4/2013

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013 7:27 pm

To the faculty and students of the University of Pittsburgh,

I am writing to apologize for the incident I was involved in on Friday, Sept. 20, at Atwood Express. Regardless of the media attention and buzz around campus, the Spider-Man incident was never meant to be malicious or harmful to anyone involved. Donning the costume was done only with the best of intentions, as a prank and nothing more. I send my sincerest apologies to the business owner, to the University of Pittsburgh and to the Allegheny County court system. I made the mistake of entering an environment that could have potentially turned dangerous, without recognition of the consequences that it would have on my school, my family and those around me. I send my sincerest apologies to all those affected by the incident. 

Spending time in jail can really change the way you look at the world. Above all, it helps you recognize the importance of family, friends and having the freedom to create a world filled with hope and inspiration. Prison walls have taught me that the opportunities given to me are tremendously important and shouldn’t be thrown to waste. A university degree and a supportive family are a incredibly valuable assets to be blessed with. Recognizing the importance of the situation I’ve been placed in and the opportunities I’ve been given will help me move on with my life as a stronger man. In a strange way, I am thankful for the experience as it has helped me recognize, above all else, the things that make me strong. I move forward bold and with the knowledge that with great power comes great responsibility.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Hewson

College of Business Administration

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.