Wrestling: Bonaccorsi wins EWL freshman award

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, April 4, 2013 12:00 am

Nick Bonaccorsi of the Pitt wrestling team became the latest Panther to win an Eastern Wrestling League Freshman of the Year title when the conference announced its annual award winners on March 28.

The 174-pounder from Bethel Park, Pa., brought the trophy back to Pitt for the fourth time in five years, following Tyler Nauman (2009), Anthony Zanetta (2010) and Max Thomusseit (2011) in being named the conference’s best first-year wrestler.

Bonaccorsi qualified for the NCAA championships in his debut season thanks to his EWL title at 174 pounds, and he finished with a 19-9 overall record.

Edinboro University’s Mitchell Port was named EWL Wrestler of the Year, while Bloomsburg University head coach John Stutzman earned EWL Coach of the Year honors.

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.